Two overnight fires damage Topeka home, garage

By Morgan Chilson
Topeka Capital Journal - March 13, 2017

 

A Topeka garage fire at 3:30 a.m. Saturday caused about $22,000 in damage.

 

A preliminary investigation showed the fire at 506 S.E. Cottage Ave. was started by the improper use of a propane space heater, the Topeka Fire Department said in a news release.

 

“Upon arrival, fire crews found the single story wood-framed garage structure with smoke and flames visible,” according to the fire department.

 

A man who had been inside the garage evacuated before firefighters arrived.

 

The initial response included three engine companies and two truck companies. The Kansas Capital Area chapter of the American Red Cross responded to provide assistance.

 

A house fire also occurred about 1:15 a.m. at 3521 N.W. 44th Terrace, according to Shawnee County emergency dispatchers. Although one person may have been taken to the hospital for observation, a dispatcher said she believed there were no injuries.

 

Topeka Fire Department personnel weren’t available Saturday morning to comment on the fire.

 

Write a comment

Comments: 0