Unattended cooking to blame for Kansan Tower apartment fire in downtown Topeka

By Shawn Wheat and Natalie Otto
WIBW – March 14, 2017

 

The Topeka Fire Department says unattended cooking is to blame for a fire that caused a Kansan Tower apartment unit to go up in flames Monday afternoon.

 

The Topeka Fire Department responded to the call of smoke on the 9th floor of the Kansas Tower Apartments above Corefirst Bank and Trust just after 3 p.m.

 

Fire crews evacuated everyone on the eighth and ninth floor, before eventually evacuating everyone out of the building. No one was injured.

 

Crews were able to contain the fire to the apartment unit, neighboring units suffered only minor smoke damage.

 

Investigators believe the fire caused about $40,000 in total damages.

 

Write a comment

Comments: 0