Snapped utility pole causes fire outside Topeka auto shop

By Katie Moore
Topeka Capital Journal – March 24, 2017

 

A utility pole snapped Thursday, sparking a blaze in northwest Topeka.

 

The incident was reported at 4:14 p.m. at 301 N.W. Reo.

 

Topeka fire crews found heavy smoke and flames upon arrival, Fire Marshal Mike Martin said at the scene. They were able to quickly put out the blaze.

 

Martin said it appeared a pole snapped and debris behind an auto repair shop caught fire. He didn’t think there was much, if any, damage to the inside of the shop.

 

No injuries were reported.

 

The fire caused $50,000 in structural damage and $10,000 in content loss, the fire department said.

 

The shop’s owner said employees tried to extinguish the blaze with fire extinguishers, but weren’t successful. It kept sparking and going crazy, the owner said.

 

The pole also crushed a car trailer when it fell. Westar Energy cut power to the line at the scene.