Fire damages duplex unit after stove left on overnight

By Chuck Samples
KVOE - March 27, 2017

 

Residents of an east Emporia duplex escaped without injury after fire developed early Saturday morning.
 
Fire was reported at 906 Sylvan just after 3 am. Emporia Fire Battalion Chief Eron Steinlage tells KVOE News the fire started after a stove was left on. Firefighters noticed smoke coming from the duplex when they arrived and quickly put the fire out.
 
The fire was limited to the kitchen and the smoke affected one of the two apartments, but there was still about $7,000 worth of damage. Steinlage says there were four people inside the duplex -- two in each unit -- at the time of the fire. Everybody was out by the time firefighters arrived.
 
Shortly after 8 am, firefighters returned to the address because materials brought outside after the fire were still smoking. Firefighters quickly doused those items.
 
The duplex is owned by Jerry Olmsted.